Otto H. York Department of Chemical Engineering
Room 322, YCEES
- University of Minnesota, PhD 1983
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champagne, MS 1980
- National Technical University of Athens, Greece, Diploma 1978
Experimental and modeling studies of reaction engineering for applications in
- pollution prevention and control
- production of pharmaceuticals
Specific interests include:
- the study, analysis, and development of vapor-phase biological reactors (conventional biofilters and biotrickling filters) for treatment of volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions
- modeling of biodegradation kinetics of mixed pollutants
- theoretical and experimental studies on the dynamics of cyclically operated bioreactors for treatment of liquid waste-streams
- optimization studies under constraints for pollution minimization
- membrane reactors and evaluation of alternative reactor operation modes and protocols for pharmaceutical applications
- J.P.Sheth, Y. Qin, K.K. Sirkar, and B.C. Baltzis, "Nanofiltration-based Diafiltration Process for Solvent Exchange in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing," J. Membr. Sci., 211: 251-261 (2003).
- B.C. Baltzis, C.J. Mpanias, and S. Bhattacharya, "Modeling the Removal of VOC Mixtures in Biotrickling Filters, " Biotechnol. Bioeng., 72, 389-401 (2001).
- J.A. Whu, B.C. Baltzis, and K.K. Sirkar, "Nanofiltration Studies of Larger Organic Microsolutes in Methanol Solutions," J. Membr. Sci., 170, 159-172 (2000).
- J.A. Whu, B.C. Baltzis, and K.K. Sirkar, "Modeling of Nanofiltration-Assisted Organic Synthesis," J. Membr. Sci., 163, 319-331 (1999).
- D.M. Tsangaris and B.C. Baltzis, "On the Behavior of Consecutive Enzymatic Reactions in Cyclically Operated Reactors, " Chem. Eng. Comm., 176, 229-246 (1999).
- C.J. Mpanias and B.C. Baltzis, "An Experimental and Modeling Study on the Removal of Mono-Chlorobenzene Vapor in Biotrickling Filters," Biotechnol. Bioeng., 59, 328-343 (1998).
- B.C. Baltzis, S.M. Wojdyla, and S.M. Zarook, "Modeling Biofiltration of VOC Mixtures Under Steady-State Conditions," J. Environ. Engrg., 123, 599-605 (1997).
Awards and Honors
- Master Teacher, 2000
- Harlan J. Perlis Award for Research, 1999
- Newark College of Engineering Excellence in Teaching Award, 1999
- Van Houten Award for Teaching Excellence, 1998
- New Jersey Institute of Technology Excellence in Teaching Award, 1988