Basil C. Baltzis
|Title:||Professor, NJIT Master Teacher|
|Dept:||Office of the Provost|
Basil Baltzis, PhD, is a professor in the department of chemical engineering at New Jersey Institute of Technology. His research interests include experimental and modeling studies of reaction engineering for applications in pollution prevention and control and the production of pharmaceuticals.
Baltzis has received a number of awards for teaching and research at NJIT, including: the Master Teacher Award, 2000; the Harlan J. Perlis Award for Research, 1999; Newark College of Engineering Excellence in Teaching Award, 1999; and the Van Houten Award for Teaching Excellence, 1998.
- University of Minnesota, PhD 1983
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champagne, MS 1980
- National Technical University of Athens, Greece, Diploma 1978
Awards and Honors
- Master Teacher, 2000
- Harlan J. Perlis Award for Research, 1999
- Newark College of Engineering Excellence in Teaching Award, 1999
- Van Houten Award for Teaching Excellence, 1998
- New Jersey Institute of Technology Excellence in Teaching Award, 1988
Experimental and modeling studies of reaction engineering for applications in:
- pollution prevention and control
- production of pharmaceuticals=
Specific interests include:
- the study, analysis, and development of vapor-phase biological reactors (conventional biofilters and biotrickling filters) for treatment of volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions
- modeling of biodegradation kinetics of mixed pollutants
- theoretical and experimental studies on the dynamics of cyclically operated bioreactors for treatment of liquid waste-streams
- optimization studies under constraints for pollution minimization
- membrane reactors and evaluation of alternative reactor operation modes and protocols for pharmaceutical applications
J.P.Sheth, Y. Qin, K.K. Sirkar, and B.C. Baltzis, "Nanofiltration-based Diafiltration Process for Solvent Exchange in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing," J. Membr. Sci., 211: 251-261 (2003).
B.C. Baltzis, C.J. Mpanias, and S. Bhattacharya, "Modeling the Removal of VOC Mixtures in Biotrickling Filters, " Biotechnol. Bioeng., 72, 389-401 (2001).
J.A. Whu, B.C. Baltzis, and K.K. Sirkar, "Nanofiltration Studies of Larger Organic Microsolutes in Methanol Solutions," J. Membr. Sci., 170, 159-172 (2000).
J.A. Whu, B.C. Baltzis, and K.K. Sirkar, "Modeling of Nanofiltration-Assisted Organic Synthesis," J. Membr. Sci., 163, 319-331 (1999).
D.M. Tsangaris and B.C. Baltzis, "On the Behavior of Consecutive Enzymatic Reactions in Cyclically Operated Reactors, " Chem. Eng. Comm., 176, 229-246 (1999).
C.J. Mpanias and B.C. Baltzis, "An Experimental and Modeling Study on the Removal of Mono-Chlorobenzene Vapor in Biotrickling Filters," Biotechnol. Bioeng., 59, 328-343 (1998).
B.C. Baltzis, S.M. Wojdyla, and S.M. Zarook, "Modeling Biofiltration of VOC Mixtures Under Steady-State Conditions," J. Environ. Engrg., 123, 599-605 (1997).