Academic Interests: powder technology, particle engineering, pharmaceutical solids manufacturing technology, rubber elasticity, finite thermoelasticity, rubber processing, recycling, healthcare science and engineering,
Dr. Ecevit Bilgili is currently an associate professor of Chemical Engineering at NJIT. During 2009–2014, he established a Particle Engineering Lab, where his group has been conducting research in designing particulate formulations and processes for high-value-added products like pharmaceuticals with enhanced functionalities such as enhanced bioavailability of poorly water-soluble drugs. His research interests center on the development of a fundamental understanding of the mechanisms–transformations involved during the formation of drug nanoparticles via top-down and bottom-up approaches as well as nanocomposite microparticles. His research group uses experimentation coupled with population balance modeling (PBM) and discrete element modeling (DEM) in a unique multi-scale approach to elucidate complex non-linear rate processes. Prior to this academic position, Dr. Bilgili worked as Principal Development Engineer within R&D and Pharmaceutical Commercialization Technology Department at Merck & Co., Inc during 2004–2009. Before Merck years, he had worked as a post-doctoral research associate at the Particle Engineering Research Center, University of Florida.
- Ph.D.(May 2001), Chemical Engineering., Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL.
- B.S.(June 1996), Chemical Engineering., Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey.
Honors and Awards
- PCT & GPC Operations Technology Mastery Award, by Merck & Co., in recognition of the efforts towards developing the fluid bed granulation technology, 2009
- Marquis Who´s Who in Science and Engineering appeared in the 7th, 9th, and 10th Eds., 2003–2004, 2006–2007, and 2008–2009.
- Award of Excellence, by Merck & Co., Inc. in recognition of significant contributions to a drug development program, 2008
- Marquis Who´s Who of Emerging Leaders, appeared in the 1st Ed., 2006–2007
- Award of Excellence, by Merck & Co., Inc. in recognition of significant contributions to an accelerated drug filing, 2006
- Special Achievement Award, by Merck & Co., Inc. in recognition of personal dedication and technical contributions to a drug development program, 2005
- Best Ph.D. Thesis in Particle Technology Award, by Particle Technology Forum of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers, 2004
- Marquis Who´s Who in America, appeared in the 56th, 57th, and 58th Editions, 2002, 2003, and 2004
- Certificate of The Highest Standards of Academic Achievement given by IIT, Chicago, 2001
- Who´s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges, 1998–2001
- The Professor Turgut Noyan Award given by the Chemical Engineering Department, Bogazici University, 1996
Courses I Teach
- Poor water-solubility and inadequate bioavailability of more than 40% of the newly discovered drugs, which prevents or delays formulation development and commercialization
- Inability to prepare and stabilize sub100 nm drug particles in suspensions, which is a barrier to bioavailability enhancement and sterile filtration of drug nanoparticle suspensions
- Excessive use of surfactants and sugars in nanoparticulate drug formulations
- Lack of predictive tools/models for production of drug nanoparticles and their composites
- Poor understanding of physical stabilization and recrystallization of amorphous drug in solid dispersions
- Poor understanding of non-linear effects, mechanical multi-particle interactions, and empirical nature of kernels in population balance modeling
- Develop a fundamental understanding of the controlling mechanical/physico-chemical parameters and mechanisms by which drug nanoparticles, especially ones with sub-100 nm particles, can be produced.
- Elucidate the dynamics and mechanisms by which active nanoparticles are recovered from solid dosage forms such as nanocomposite microparticles (NCMPs), strip films, and tablets during wet dispersion/dissolution in physiologically relevant fluids.
- Develop a mechanistic understanding of the functional responses of active (drug) agent-carrying solid dosage forms via process–structure–property–performance interrelationships
- Extend/apply the fundamental learning and research findings from the pharmaceuticals-centric (drug) research to other active agents like agrochemicals, biological agents, etc.
- Develop mechanistic, particle-scale kernels for population balance models that allow for multi-scale modeling of particle formation processes and elucidation of the elusive non-linear effects
Recent Peer Refereed Journal Papers (Lead author underlined)
- M. Azad, C. Arteaga, B. Abdelmalek, R. Davé, E. Bilgili, “Spray Drying of Drug–Swellable Dispersant Suspensions for Preparation of Fast-Dissolving, High Drug Loaded, Surfactant-Free Nanocomposites,” Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy (I.F.: 2.006), 2014, under review.
- J. Zhang, Y. Ying, B. Pielecha-Safira, E. Bilgili, R. Ramachandran, R. Romañach, R. Davé, Z. Iqbal, “Raman Spectroscopy for In-line and Off-line Quantification of Poorly Soluble Drugs in Strip Films,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics (I.F.: 3.458), 2014, under review.
- C. Knieke, M. Azad, D. To, E. Bilgili, R. Davé, “Sub-100 Micron Fast Dissolving Nanocomposite Drug Powders,” Powder Technology (I.F.: 2.024), 2014, under review.
- Y. Ying, A. Afolabi, E. Bilgili, Z. Iqbal, “In-line Raman Spectroscopic Monitoring of Size Reduction during Wet Media Milling of BCS Class II Drugs,” Applied Spectroscopy (I.F.: 1.942), 2014, accepted.
- A. Bhakay, M. Azad, E. Vizzotti, R. Dave, E. Bilgili, “Enhanced Recovery and Dissolution of Griseofulvin Nanoparticles from Surfactant-Free Nanocomposite Microparticles Incorporating Wet-Milled Swellable Dispersants,” Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy (I.F.: 2.006), 2013, DOI: 10.3109/03639045.2013.831442.
- M. Capece, E. Bilgili, R. Dave, “Insight into First-order Breakage Kinetics for Dry Ball Milling Using a Physically Based Breakage Rate Parameter,” Chemical Engineering Science (I.F.: 2.386), Vol. 117, 2014, pp. 318–330.
- M. Azad, A. Afolabi, N. Patel, R. Dave, E. Bilgili, “Preparation of Stable Colloidal Suspensions of Superdisintegrants via Wet Stirred Media Milling,” Particuology (I.F.: 1.419), Vol. 14, 2014, pp. 76-82.
- M. Capece, E. Bilgili, R. Dave, “Formulation of a Physically Motivated Breakage Rate Parameter for Dry Ball Milling via the Discrete Element Method,” AIChE Journal (I.F.: 2.493), Vol. 60, 2014, pp. 2404–2415.
- A. Afolabi, O. Akinlabi, E. Bilgili, “Impact of Process Parameters on the Breakage Kinetics of Poorly Water-Soluble Drugs during Wet Media Milling: A Microhydrodynamic View,” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences (I.F.: 2.987), Vol. 51, 2014, pp. 75–86.
- A. Bhakay, M. Azad, E. Bilgili, R. Dave, “Redispersible Fast Dissolving Nanocomposite Microparticles of Poorly Water-Soluble Drugs,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics (I.F.: 3.458), Volume 461, 2014, pp. 367–379.
- A.J. Harrison, E.A. Bilgili, S.P. Beaudoin, L.S. Taylor, “Atomic Force Microscope Infrared Spectroscopy of Griseofulvin Nanocrystals,” Analytical Chemistry (I.F.: 5.695), Vol. 85, 2013, pp. 11449–11455.
- R. Susarla, L. Sievens-Figueroa, A. Bhakay, Y. Shen, J. I. Jerez-Rozo, W. Engen, B. Khusid, E. Bilgili, R. J. Romañach, K. R. Morris, B. Michniak-Kohn, R. N. Davé, “Fast Drying of Biocompatible Polymer Films Loaded with Poorly Water-Soluble Drug Nano-particles via Low Temperature Forced Convection,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics (I.F.: 3.458), Vol. 455, 2013, pp. 93–103.
- C. Knieke, M. A. Azad, R. N. Davé, E. Bilgili, “A Study of the Physical Stability of Wet Media-Milled Fenofibrate Suspensions Using Dynamic Equilibrium Curves,” Chemical Engineering Research and Design (I.F.: 1.927), Vol. 91, 2013, pp. 1245–1258.
- M. Capece, R. Dave, E. Bilgili, “Influence of Non-Linear Breakage Kinetics on the Attainment of Self-Similarity for Dry Milling Processes,” Chemical Engineering Science (I.F.: 2.386), Vol. 97, 2013, pp. 96–107.
- R. N. Davé, E. Bilgili, A. Cuitiño, L. Jallo, “Towards Developing Understanding of the Influence of Materials and Processes on Product Performance,” Special Issue on Pharmaceutical Powders, Editorial, Powder Technology (I.F.: 2.024), Vol. 236, 2013, pp. 1–4, Editorial.
- A. Bhakay, R. Dave, E. Bilgili, “Recovery of BCS Class II Drugs during Aqueous Redispersion of Core-Shell Type Nanocomposite Particles Produced via Fluidized Bed Coating”, Powder Technology (I.F.: 2.024), Vol. 236, 2013, pp. 221–234.
- C. Beck, L. Sievens-Figueroa, K. Gärtner, J. I. Jerez-Rozo, R. J. Romañach, E. Bilgili, R. N. Davé, “Effects of Stabilizers on Particle Redispersion and Dissolution from Polymer Strip Films Containing Liquid Antisolvent Precipitated Griseofulvin Particles, Powder Technology (I.F.: 2.024), Vol. 236, 2013, pp. 37–51.
- A. Monteiro, A. Afolabi, E. Bilgili, “Continuous Production of Drug Nanoparticle Suspensions via Wet Stirred Media Milling: A Fresh Look at the Rehbinder Effect,” Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy (I.F.: 2.006), Vol. 39(2), 2013, pp. 266–283.
- L. Sievens-Figueroa, N. Pandya, A. Bhakay, G. Keyvan, B. Michniak-Kohn, E. Bilgili, R. N. Davé, “Using USP I and USP IV for Discriminating Dissolution Rates of Nano and Micro Particle Loaded Pharmaceutical Strip-Films,” AAPS Pharmaceutical Science and Technology (I.F.: 1.584), Vol. 13(4), 2012, pp. 1473–1482.
- E. Bilgili, A. Afolabi, “A Combined Microhydrodynamics–Polymer Adsorption Analysis for Elucidation of the Roles of Stabilizers in Wet Stirred Media Milling,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics (I.F.: 3.458), Vol. 439, 2012, pp. 193–206.
- E. Bilgili, M. Capece, “A Rigorous Breakage Matrix Methodology for Characterization of Multi-Particle Interactions in Dense-Phase Particle Breakage,” Chemical Engineering Research and Design (I.F.: 1.927), Vol. 90, 2012, pp. 1177–1188.
- M. Capece, R. Dave, E. Bilgili, “A Rational Function Approximation to the Effectiveness Factor for Multi-Particle Interactions in Dense-Phase Dry Milling,” Powder Technology (I.F.: 2.024), Vol. 230, 2012, pp. 67–76.
- L. Sievens-Figueroa, A. Bhakay, J. I. Jerez-Rozo, N. Pandya, R. J. Romañach, B. Michniak-Kohn, Z. Iqbal, E. Bilgili, R. N. Davé, “Preparation and Characterization of Hydroxypropyl Methyl Cellulose Films Containing Stable BCS Class II Drug Nanoparticles for Pharmaceutical Applications,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics (I.F.: 3.458), Vol. 423, 2012, pp. 496–508.
- E. Bilgili, M. Capece, “Quantitative Analysis of Multi-Particle Interactions during Particle Breakage: a Discrete Non-Linear Population Balance Framework”, Powder Technology (I.F.: 2.024), Vol. 213, 2011, pp.162–173.
- M. Capece, E. Bilgili, R. Dave, “Emergence of Falsified Kinetics as a Consequence of Multi-Particle Interactions in Dense-Phase Comminution Processes,” Chemical Engineering Science (I.F.: 2.386), Vol. 66, 2011, pp. 5672–5683.
- M. Capece, E. Bilgili, R. Dave, “Identification of the Breakage Rate and Distribution Parameters in a Non-Linear Population Balance Model for Batch Milling,” Powder Technology (I.F.: 2.024), Vol. 208, 2011, pp. 195–204.
- A. Bhakay, M. Merwade, E. Bilgili, R. N. Dave, “Novel Aspects of Wet Milling for the Production of Microsuspensions and Nanosuspensions of Poorly Water-Soluble Drugs,” Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy (I.F.: 2.006), Vol. 37, 2011, pp. 963–976.
Invited Talks and Seminars
- E. A. Bilgili (Primary Inventor), A. Bhakay, M. Azad, and R. Dave, “System and Method for Superdisintegrant-Based Composite Particles for Dispersion and Dissolution of Agents,” U.S. Patent Application No. 13/829,948, March 14, 2013.
- R.N. Davé, D. To, E. Bilgili, M. Azad, C. Knieke, “Pharmaceutical Core-Shell Composite Powder and Processes for Making the Same,” International Patent Application PCT/US 2013/69128 filed, Nov. 08, 2013.
- R. N. Dave (Primary Inventor), R. Susarla, E. Bilgili, L. Sievens-Figueroa, B. Khusid, F. Muzzio, R. Chettiannan, and Y. Shen, “System and Method for Fabrication of Uniform Polymer Films Containing Nano and Micro Particles via Continuous Drying Process,” U.S. Provisional Patent, Application No. 61/791,752, March 15, 2013.
- G. Ivanov (Primary Inventor), H. Arastoopour, E. Bilgili, N. Shahidi, and B. Bernstein, "Apparatus and Process for Pulverization of a Polymeric Material," U.S. Patent No. 6,513,737, Feb. 4, 2003.
- H. Arastoopour (Primary Inventor), D. A. Schocke, B. Bernstein, and E. Bilgili, "Process for Recycling of Rubber Materials," U.S. Patent No. 5,904,885, May 18, 1999