- Editor, ASME Journal of Nanotechnology in Engineering and Medicine, http://nanoengineeringmedical.asmedigitalcollection.asme.org/journal.aspx
- Editorial Board Member, Current Opinion in Chemical Engineering, Elsevier, http://www.journals.elsevier.com/current-opinion-in-chemical-engineering
- Co-organizer/ chair/ co-chair of the Symposium on Electric and Magnetic Phenomena in Micro- and Nano-Scale System Engineering at the annual ASME Congresses & Expositions (2001-2013)
- Co-organizer/ chair/ co-chair of Sessions "Complex and Smart Fluid” at the 21st International Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (ICTAM),
, August 15-21, 2004 Warsaw, Poland
- Co-organizer/ chair/ co-chair of Sessions “Fluids Engineering. Emerging Areas on the Frontiers of Fluids Engineering” at the ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition,
, 2003 Washington, DC
- Co-organizer of the ASME Region II Microfluidic/Biosensor Workshop at The
Universityof Pennsylvania, , June 2003. Philadelphia, PA
- Organizer & chair of the Symposium on Electrohydrodynamics at the Fourteenth U.S. National Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Blacksburg, VA, June 2002.
- The Heat and Mass Transfer Institute (Minsk, USSR), Ph.D. 1975
- Byelorussian State University (Minsk, USSR), M.S. 1972
Awards and Honors
- 2008 - Saul K. Fenster Innovation in Engineering Education Award, NJIT
- 2006 - Fellow of American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- 1985 - D.S. in Thermal Sciences & Engineering, Institute of Thermophysics, Novosibrsk
- 1991 - Professor of Heat & Power Engineering, Department of Education, Moscow
Courses I Teach
Current Research Interests
Theoretical and experimental studies focus on
- Fundamentals of the micro- and nano-scale behavior of suspensions subject to a high-gradient strong ac electric field and a shear flow
- Development of electro-microfluidics for the control and manipulation of fine particles, cells, and micro-organisms
- The fundamentals of micro-scale electro-hydrodynamics to the level where it will become useful in the design and operation of novel sensors for applications ranging from bioagent detection to healthcare industry.
Jan, L., Punckt, C., Khusid, B., Aksay, I.A., Directed motion of colloidal particles in galvanic microreactor, Langmuir, 29 (8), 2498-2505, 2013.
Elele, E., Shen, Y., Susarla, R., Khusid, B., Keyvan, G., Michniak-Kohn, B., Electrodeless electrohydrodynamic drop-on-demand encapsulation of drugs into porous polymer films for fabrication of personalized dosage units, Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 101(7), 2523-2533, 2012
Elele, E., Shen, Y., Khusid, B., Electrodeless electrohydrodynamic printing of personalized medicines, Applied Physics Letters 97, 233501-1-4, 2010
James, C.D., Khusid, B., Kumar, A., Acrivos, A., Microfluidic device for the assembly and transport of microparticles, US Patent 7,744,737, 2010-06-29
Lo, T.S., Khusid, B., Koplik, J., Field-induced alignment of flexible polyelectrolytes in solution, Physical Review Letters 104, 218303-1-4, 2010
E. Cummings, B. Khusid, Dielectrophoretic Microfluidics, book chapter in Microfluidic Technologies for Miniaturized Analysis Systems, ed. by S. Hardt, F. Schönfeld (Springer, 2008).
E. Cummings, B. Khusid, Dielectrophoretic Microfluidics, book chapter in Microfluidic Technologies for Miniaturized Analysis Systems, ed. by S. Hardt, F. Schönfeld (Springer, 2008).Dielectrophoretic MicrofluidsMurira, C.M., Punckt, C., Schniepp, H.C. Khusid, B., Aksay, I.A. Inhibition and promotion of copper corrosion by CTAB in a microreactor system, Langmuir 24(24), 4269-14275, 2008.
Lo, T.S., Khusid, B.,Koplik,J., Dynamical clustering of counterions on flexible polyelectrolytes, Physical Review Letters, 100, 128301-1-4, 2008
Gokhale, A., Khusid, B., Dave, R.N. and Pfeffer, R., Effect of solvent strength and operating pressure on the formation of submicrometer polymer particles in supercritical microjets, Journal of Supercritical Fluids 43, 341–356, 2007
Kumar, A., Acrivos, A., Khusid, B., James, C.D., and Jacqmin, D., Conveyer-belt method for assembling microparticles into large-scale structures using electric fields, Applied Physics Letters 90(15), 154104-1-3, 2007
Kumar, A., Acrivos, A., Khusid, B., and Jacqmin, D., Electric field-driven formation of particle concentration fronts in suspensions, Fluid Dynamics Research 39, 169-192,2007
Kumar, A., Elele, E., Yeksel, M., Khusid, B., Qiu, Z., and Acrivos, A., Measurements of the fluid and particle mobilities in strong electric fields, Physics of Fluids, 18, 123301-1-10, 2006
Kumar, A., Khusid, B., and Acrivos, A., Dielectrophoretic trapping of particles at the three-phase contact line, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 45, 6978-6980, 2006
Rai, P. K., Denn, M. M., and Khusid, B., Dielectric spectroscopy of liquid crystalline dispersions, Langmuir; 22(6), 2528-2533, 2006
James, C.D., Okandan, M., Galambos, P., Mani, S.S., Bennett, D., Khusid, B., and Acrivos, A., Surface micromachined dielectrophoretic gates for the front-end device of a biodetection system, ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, 128(1), 14-19, 2006
Kumar, A., Khusid, B., Qiu, Z., and Acrivos, A., New electric-field-driven mesoscale phase transitions in polarized suspensiions, Physical Review Letters, 95, 258301-1-4, 2005
Drazer, G., Khusid, B., Koplik, J., and Acrivos, A., Hysteresis, force oscillations, and nonequilibrium effects in the adhesion of spherical nanoparticles to atomistically smooth surfaces, Physical Review Letters, 95, 016102-1-4, 2005
Drazer, G., Khusid, B., Koplik, J., and Acrivos, A., Wetting and particle adsorption in nanoflows, Physics of Fluids, 17(1), 017102-1-18, 2005
Markarian, N., Yeksel, M., Khusid, B., Kumar, A., Tin, P., Effects of clinorotation and positive dielectrophoresis on suspensions of heavy particles, Physics of Fluids, 16(5), 1826-1829, 2004.
Kumar, A., Qiu, Z., Acrivos, A., Khusid, B., Jacqmin, D., Combined negative dielectrophoresis and phase separation in nondilute suspensions subject to a high-gradient ac electric field, Physical Review E, 69, 021402-1 - 10, 2004.
Bennett, D., Khusid, B., Galambos, P., James, C.D., Okandan, M., Jacqmin, D., Acrivos, A., Field-induced dielectrophoresis and phase separation for manipulating particles in microfluidics. Applied Physics Letters, 83(23), 4866-4868, 2003.
Markarian, N., Yeksel, M., Khusid, B., Farmer, K., Acrivos, A., Particle motions and segregation in dielectrophoretic micro-fluidics. Journal of Applied Physics, 94(6), 4160-4169, 2003.
Markarian, N., Yeksel, M., Khusid, B., Farmer, K., Acrivos, A., Limitations on the scale of an electrode array for trapping particles in microfluidics by positive dielectrophoresis. Applied Physics Letters, 82 (26), 4839-4841, 2003.
Drazer G., Koplik, J., Acrivos, A., Khusid, B., Adsorption phenomena in the transport of a colloidal particle through a nanochannel containing a partially wetting fluid, Physical Review Letters, 89 (24), 244501-1 - 4, 2002.
Qiu, Z., Markarian, N., Khusid, B., Acrivos, A., Positive dielectrophoresis and heterogeneous aggregation in high-gradient ac electric fields. Journal of Applied Physics, 92(5), 2829-2843, 2002.
Drazer, G., Koplik, J., Khusid, B., Acrivos, A., Deterministic and stochastic behavior of non-Brownian spheres in sheared suspensions. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 2002, 460, 307 - 335, 2002.
Dussaud, A. D., Khusid, B., Acrivos, A., Particle segregation in suspensions subject to high-gradient ac electric fields. Journal of Applied Physics, 88(9), 5463-5473, 2000.
Khusid, B., Acrivos, A., Phase diagrams of electric-field-induced aggregation in conducting colloidal suspensions. Physical Review E , 60(3), 3015-3035, 1999.
Khusid, B., Acrivos, A., Khodorkovsky, Y., Beltran, M., Electrorheological squeeze-flow shock absorber. International Journal of Modern Physics B, 13 (14, 15 & 16), 2143-2151; Special Issue: Proceedings of 6th International Conference on Electrorheological Fluids, Magnetorheological Suspensions and their Applications, 1999.
Khusid, B., Kulebyakin, V. V., Bashtovaya, E. A., Khina, B. B., Mathematical and experimental modeling of quenching a self-propagating high-temperature synthesis process. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 42(22), 4235-4252, 1999.
Ivashkevich, O.A., Krasitsky, V.A., Lesnikovich, A.I., Astashinsky, V.M., Kostyukevich, E.A., Khusid, B., Mansurov, V.A., Liquid-flame combustion II: some physical and chemical characteristics of the burning process. Combustion and Flame, 110(1/2), 113-126, 1997.
Khusid, B., Acrivos, A., Effects of interparticle electric interactions on dielectrophoresis in colloidal suspensions. Physical Review E, 54(5), 5428-5435, 1996.
Levitskiy, S. P., Khusid, B., Shulman, Z. P, Growth of vapor bubbles in boiling polymer solutions. Part II. Nucleate boiling heat transfer. International Journal of Heat & Mass Transfer, 39(3), 639-644, 1996.
Khusid, B., Acrivos, A., Effects of conductivity in electric-field-induced aggregation in electrorheological fluids. Physical Review E, 52(2), 1669-1693, 1995.Elele, E., Shen, Y., Khusid, B., A novel concept of dielectrophoretic engine oil filter, Electrophoresis 32, 2559–2568, 2011.