Piero M. Armenante
|Title:||Director, Pharm. Eng. Program & Distinguished Prof|
Piero M. Armenante, PhD, is distinguished professor of chemical engineering at New Jersey Institute of Technology, where he also serves as director of the graduate program in pharmaceutical engineering and the York Center for Environmental Engineering and Science. His research interests include the study of single and multiphase mixing in reactors and stirred vessels; biological treatment of hazardous substances; contingency planning for industrial emergencies; pharmaceutical process and equipment design; and biomedical engineering.
In 2008, Armenante received NJIT´s Excellence in Teaching Award for graduate instruction. He received the Saul K. Fenster Innovation in Engineering Award in 2002 and in 1998 he received the Harlan J. Perlis Award, NJIT’s most prestigious research award, for his role in advancing research and scientific investigation at the university.
- University of Rome, Laurea in Ingeneria Chimica, 1977.
- University of Virginia, Ph.D., 1984.
Awards and Honors
- Saul K. Fenster Innovation in Engineering Award, 2004
- Harlan J. Perlis Research Award, 1998
- study of single and multiphase mixing in reactors and stirred vessels
- biological treatment of hazardous substance
- contingency planning for industrial emergencies
- pharmaceutical process and equipment design
- biomedical engineering
Current Research Projects
Current environmentally-related projects include:
- utilization of anaerobic treatment processes
- alternate electron acceptors
- micro-nutrients in the biological treatment of aliphatic and aromatic chlorinated compounds.
In the area of mixing, recent projects involve:
- the use of laser-Doppler velocimetry (LDV) and computational fluid mechanics (CFD) to study mixing phenomena in reactors
- the determination of the minimum agitation speed to achieve the complete dispersion state in a number of different mixing systems
Uehara-Nagamine, E. and Armenante, P. M., "Effect of Process Variables on the Single-Feed Semibatch Precipitation of Barium Sulfate," Chem. Eng. Res. Des. (Trans. IChemE, Part A), ., 2001, 79: 979-988.
Villarante N. R., Armenante, P. M., Quibuyen, T. A. O., Fava, F, and Kafkewitz, D., "Dehalogenation of Dichloroethene in a Contaminated Soil: Fatty Acids and Alcohols as Electron Donors and an Apparent Requirement for Tetrachloroethene," Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 2001, 55: 239-247.
Akiti, O. and Armenante, P. M., "A Computational and Experimental Study of Mixing and Chemical Reaction in a Stirred Tank Reactor Equipped with a Down-pumping Hydrofoil Impeller Using a Micro-Mixing-Based CFD Model", Proc. 10th Europ. Conf. on Mixing, Delft, The Netherlands, July 2-5, 2000, Elsevier, New York, pp. 61-68..
Armenante, P. M., Mazzarotta, B. and Chang, G.-M., "Power Consumption in Stirred Tanks Provided with Multiple Pitched-Blade Turbines", Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 1999, 38: 2809-2816.
Armenante, P. M., Kafkewitz, D., Lewandowski, G. A. and Jou, C. J., "Anaerobic-Aerobic Treatment of Halogenated Phenolic Compounds," Water Res., 1999, 33: 681-692.
Armenante, P. M., Uehara Nagamine, E. and Susanto, J., "Determination of Correlations to Predict the Minimum Agitation Speed for Complete Solid Suspension in Agitated Vessels," Can. J. Chem. Eng., 1998, 76 (3): 413-419.
Armenante, P. M. and Uehara Nagamine, E., "Effect of Low Off-Bottom Impeller Clearance on the Minimum Agitation Speed for Complete Suspension of Solids in Stirred Tanks," Chem. Eng. Sci., 1998, 53: 1757-1775.